Thursday, December 16, 2010

Family.

I was just wasting time on Facebook, which is something I do far too often, and I got to thinking about a good friend of mine.

My friend Thomas is more like a brother really.  Back before I was married, when I was still living with my parents, he moved in with us.  We didn't have an extra room, so he moved into the basement den and slept on the sofa sleeper.  He was already a good friend before he moved in, one of my best friends in fact, but his moving in really solidified his status as my brother, at least to me anyway.

Yes, he definitely earned brother status.  I can remember him shaving his legs and leaving all that wookie-ish hair in the bath tub.  Who does that?!  He often pestered me and my sisters to "rub his hair" while we were watching TV.  We'd be on the sofa, and he'd just plop down in front of us and say, "Rub my hair."  Seriously?  He didn't say please; he didn't even put it into question form.  I guess that's what brothers do...?  Oh, not to mention there was dozens of used tissues all over the house from him.  Ew.  And cleaning his tattoo for him.  Good grief, there are quite a few brother-type things I can remember from Thomas.

But you know what, it only makes me love him more.  Because used tissues, and wookie hair aside, he's a great friend.  He was there for me during the worst time in my life.  Really.  No matter what happens in our lives or how long we go without seeing one another, I'll love him like I love my other siblings.  I've always had sisters, but now I also have 2 brothers.  My parents adopted John and Gabe a few years ago, so I officially have brothers, and while I do think of them as my brothers also, there will always be a special place in my heart and my family for Thomas.  He was my first experience with any kind of brother, and as far as I'm concerned, as long as he'll put up with the label, he's got it.

Things have changed since then though.  It's been about 5 years, maybe a little more.  I'm married and have a son now, and we all live away.  Thomas has been married and divorced, has a beautiful daughter, and is in the Navy, currently stationed on a boat that's been away from home for way too long.  I'm not sure when he comes home.  I keep asking him, but talking to Thomas, especially asking for details about his deployment, is like talking to a brick wall.  You don't really get much of a response.  Haha.

Anyway, I just want to say that I love him.  I know we haven't seen each other in years, but I miss him very much.  And I fully intend to see him the next time he's back home...if only I knew when that was....?

3 comments:

  1. There are special people who come into your life and there is this connection that never dies. You obviously have this with him and it is such a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post! It's so great when you can have the kind of bond with someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Great to see another Coast Guard wife blogging =) Yay! I will definitely be following your blog

    ReplyDelete