Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An in-between.

I realize that some of you get up much earlier than me every day, but I'm not a morning person.  By nature, I'm a night owl.  I'll get up "early" if I have to, but I'm almost never happy about it. Seriously guys, I was the kid who slept in on Christmas.  I deliberately schedule my classes no earlier than 9.  I feel very sorry for my future students who are unfortunate enough to have to deal with me before 9...30.


This morning though, I was woken up by my lovely, slightly more morning-friendly child, who was in my room at 7 AM asking to pee on the potty.  FYI:  The potty training, though painfully slowly, is progressing.  I'm elated.  I was glad he wanted to pee on the potty; I was ecstatic that he didn't have an accident all night, but all that was nearly drowned out by that horrible it's-too-damn-early-for-anything feeling.

So, I zombie walked him to the bathroom, put his potty seat on top of the potty, and he went.  Yay!  Then I shuffled him back into my room, pointed to Heath's pillow and more grunted than actually spoke the words "Lay down."

He's a good kid.  Really.  If I was greeted by me in the morning, I'd be grumpy right back.  Harper took it all in stride though.  He said, "Ok Mommy," as he hopped in my bed.  I laid down next to him and closed my eyes thinking something along the lines of "Please oh please fall back asleep, and don't stay up asking me questions all morning.  I have 3 more hours to rest!"  


Then, all of the sudden, I was pulled out of my grumpy-morning thoughts when Harper grabbed my hand.  He didn't say anything, he just held my hand.  I opened up my eyes to find him just staring at me.

He smiled and said, "I love you Mommy."

In that moment, my whole morning changed.

I still wanted to lay in bed.  Let's be realistic here: I'm Danielle, I like to sleep in, period. And I still did lay in bed.  Harper and I even slept a little bit.  Here's the difference though, for a few minutes this morning, Harper just stared at me and said he loved me and I said it right back.

4 comments:

  1. This is the point where you teach him the wonder of cuddling in bed together in the morning. You are free to doze, he could even take in an episode of Curious George. I'm not a morning person, I instated this early on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually made me tear up. Those beautiful moments we get to share with our little blessings are the best in the world. Completely genuine and the utter wonderful truth they speak makes everything worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet! What a precious little boy you have, you are one lucky mama! I can't wait for those moments!

    ReplyDelete