Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fat Follow-up

Last weekend, I posted about some health issues I'd been having.  You can read that here if you'd like.  Just in case any of you guys are interested, I wanted to post an update on what's going on now.  


The short version is I'm good.  I need to diet and lose weight, but I'm healthy.  Well, as healthy as a fat person can be.   


The thing I didn't want to mention was this: because there was a supposed problem with my liver, my doctor decided to do an HIV test.  That's right, an HIV test.  Of course, this freaked me out.  It freaked me out because it made me take a very unpleasant trip down memory lane.  It freaked me out because I've been (mostly) happily married for the last four and a half years.  We've had our rough patches, but I love my husband more than just about anything.  It freaked me out because I have a whole life planned that just doesn't mesh with HIV.  But mostly, it freaked me out because I have a three year old son.  


Like I said, I'm fine, but....


I'll spare you the long story, but the short version is that this HIV test made me do some research.  Did you know that HIV can be dormant for more than 10 years?  You read that right, you could not know about it for more than 10 years.  That means that I could have unknowingly given it to my child.  


This research made me realize that as a society we are way to free about sex.  I'm a mom, and I do not want my son going through the stress of not knowing something like this.  I'd hate for him to unknowingly give HIV to his kids.  


But what's a parent to do?  It's all over TV, movies, and music.  Sex is promoted more than almost anything else.  


It seems like I've got some very important decisions to make.  I need to decide how...strict a parent I'm going to be.  I need to decide how to best shelter my son.  

1 comment:

  1. I have wondered the same thing. My parents were pretty strict, there were many TV shows (with lots of sexual references in them) that I wasn't allowed to watch until I went away to college, and it's only gotten worse since then. I have a feeling that I will probably be one of those strict parents. And although I hated it at the time, I can now look back and thank my parents for everything they did for me!

    I'm so glad it all worked out for you but so sorry you had to go through it, so scary!

    ReplyDelete