Saturday, September 18, 2010

Oatmeal Pumpkin bars and Jack-o-lanterns!

Hey guys!  Today I've decided that 90 degrees or not, I'm making Fall come...now!  We started doing Fall things today, and it was so much fun.


Just like everyone else these days, we're tight on cash, so we decided to not go out for Family Fun Day.  We usually go to the zoo, bowling, to the pool, etc..., but to save money we decided to stay in this weekend and do some other fun stuff.  We pulled Harper's trains off the coffee table his train table and put a bunch of dinosaurs on it instead.  It worked because the top of the table is grass and water.  


So, after dinosaurs we carved Jack-O-Lanterns.  They had some little pumpkins at the grocery store when I went a few days ago, so we bought three and brought them home.  Heath and I drew a few pumpkin face designs for Harper and he chose Jack Skellington, so I got to work gutting and carving his pumpkin.  Heath chose a goofy looking little generic one.  It's nose is huge, it's eyes are crooked, it's mouth is placed funny, and it's adorable.  Mine's still a work in progress, but when it's done it'll be Pooh Bear.  Those little pumpkins are hard to cut through!  It made my hand tired!  Haha, I think I'll go finish it up after this post though.


After pumpkin carving Heath worked on some math homework, and Harper and I made oatmeal pumpkin bars!  I've tried out a few new recipes lately, and they've all been ok.  I mean, they were edible, but they were nothing to write home about, you know?  Well, I figured I'd give it one last shot with a new recipe.  If this didn't work I was done.  Well, it worked.  Those pumpkin bars were amazingly delicious!  They taste like pumpkin pie.  There's a good bit of sugar (haha, no wonder they're good), but they're delicious.  Very Fall-friendly!  I got the recipe from another blogger, you can check out her blog here!


Here's the recipe (from her site):



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup butter
Filling:
  • 1 15.5 oz canned pureed pumpkin
  • 2/3 cup skim milk
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375*. Combine oats, flour, 1/2 cup sugar,  salt, baking soda, pecans, and butter. Beat until crumbly. Reserve about 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture and press remaining mixture into a lightly buttered 13x9 baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
  • Prepare filling: Beat pumpkin, milk, 1/3 cup brown sugar, egg, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Spread filling over the crust. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture on top. Bake for a 25 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.

I made 1 small change, I only had Maple Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal, so I used that instead.  Since I used sweet oatmeal, I went a little (though not much!) easy on the brown sugar and the regular sugar.  They came out wonderfully!  
Left to Right: Harper's Jack Skellington, My Pooh Bear (thought it's kind of hard to see), and Heath's special one.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on Avery's birthday party. Here is the recipe I used for the cupcakes: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/05/cupcakes.html
    It was tough getting them in the layers (she explains how to do it in the recipe) but I think the final product was worth it! Thanks again!

    What fun! The jack-o-lanterns are so cute. I love the Pooh Bear one, such a great idea. The pumpkin bars sound delicious and perfect for fall. I'll have make some of them! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete