Monday, September 13, 2010

30 Day Journal. Day 21. Fall Pumpkin Stuffin.


Day 1 - Your Favorite Song
Day 2 - Your Favorite Movie
Day 3 - Your Favorite Television Program
Day 4 - Your Favorite Book
Day 5 - Your Favorite Quote
Day 6 - 20 of my favorite things
Day 7 - A photo that makes you happy
Day 8 - A photo that makes you angry/sad
Day 9 - A photo you took
Day 10 - A photo taken over 10 years ago of you
Day 11 - A photo of you recently
Day 12 - Something you are OCD about
Day 13 - A fictional book
Day 14 - A non-fictional book
Day 15 - your dream house
Day 16 - A song that makes you cry (or nearly)
Day 17 - An art piece (drawing, sculpture, painting, etc)
Day 18 - My wedding/future wedding/past wedding
Day 19 - A talent of yours
Day 20 - A hobby of yours
Day 21 - A recipe
Day 22 - A website
Day 23 - A YouTube video
Day 24 - Where I live
Day 25 - Your day, in great detail
Day 26 - Your week, in great detail
Day 27 - My worst habit
Day 28 - Whats in my handbag/purse
Day 29 - Hopes,Dreams and plans for the next 365 days
Day 30 - A dream for the future

Though the temperature is still in the mid-90's here in Louisiana, I can feel that Fall is coming.  School has started and stores are starting to put out Fall smelling candles, Halloween costumes, and cooler weather clothes.  And, most importantly, Whole Foods has their Fall foods out in full force!  I'm talking apples and pumpkins, people!  I'm so excited!  It signals that the cooler weather is finally on it's way.  It's one of those simple pleasures: walking through the produce section and getting a glorious whiff of some perfectly delicious looking Pink Lady Apples.  Ahhhh..... 

Anyway, I'm going to tell yall one of my favorite recipes, and it is the very definition of Fall cooking to me.  I make on Thanksgiving and Christmas.  If it were up to the hubs I'd make it a lot more.  It's his favorite.  It's totally flavorful and completely vegetarian friendly.  Oh yeah.  It's pumpkin stuffin!  

This is a Rachael Ray recipe that I've modified just slightly to fit my families taste and pantry.  

Ingredients
1 Stick butter (best to use the real thing here folks, you only need a few tablespoons.)
2-3 McIntosh apples (I love pink ladies, so I use those.  Basically any sweet apple will work.)
2 onions, chopped
1 zucchini (you can use yellow squash too if you like.  I usually double the amount here.)
3 small ribs celery, chopped (RR says 6, but celery isn't my favorite, so I do less.)
1 fresh or dried bay leaf
6 store bought pumpkin muffins (I make home made because they're awfully hard to find here.  You can google a basic pumpkin muffin recipe.)
salt and pepper to taste (Be careful with the salt.  Usually broth is pretty salty anyway, so you may not need salt at all.)
1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, toasted (Whole foods does good seasoned, toasted pumpkin seeds in the bulk bins.  Those are our favorite.  Really good flavor, good for snacking and cooking.)
Vegetable broth (RR says 6 cups, but you really don't need that much, 2 cups would do it.  Just add the broth at the end until it's as moist as you want it.)

I'm telling you right now, this makes a lot of stuffin, so if you're only feeding 1, 2, or 3, you might want to half the recipe.  That or make it all and freeze it for later.  

Ok, it's simple:
In (med heat) pan: 
  • butter, onion, celery, and bay until onion and celery start to soften
  • add zucchini and apples-let it all get soft.  (When your house smells like the best holiday candle ever, you're there.)
  • add crumbled muffins and seeds
  • stir it up and add as much liquid as you need.
  • throw the whole thing in the broiler for a few minutes to let it get crispy on top
Ta da!  You're done.  Your house will smell awesome and it's delicious.  Oh, bonus, it doesn't take long at all.  

Sadly, I can't find a photo in my library of my stuffin, so I'll have to amend this post later.  

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good!! I love fall recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!

    I like Rachael Ray, it's just her recipes seem to take too long for me.

    ReplyDelete